“Thrust your hand deep into life, and whatever you bring up in it, that is your subject” – Goethe.
To take this suggestion literally and use a draw as a kind
of lucky dip of inspiration I pulled out the below ticket. Bought last minute on eBay for a knocked down
price I found myself in the centre of Twickenham stadium and very close to the
main stage of a Lady Gaga concert one Sunday night. I was there to have a few drinks and a laugh
with some old friends, some of whom I hadn’t spoken to in years, and just enjoy
the randomness of my situation given that I’m not actually a fan. Amid the eclectically enrobed (or barely
robed) thrumming crowd I waited for the star to make her entrance with building
anticipation. As the late evening light slunk
lazily out of the packed stadium she rode slowly out onto the stage on a huge
horse dressed like something from a late 80s sci-fi movie, the crowd responding
in unison to her commanding presence. From
simulated oral sex, flesh suits, the ‘birthing’ of a host of dancers to the
very exposed, vulnerable and humble person playing a piano whilst comforting a
completely overwhelmed fan beside her, I was drawn in. Amid the contradictions and the lunacy of the
performance one message very was clear: be fearless, believe in yourself and
take risks.

No comments:
Post a Comment